Friday

Zucchini Latkes



Dinner at my old place. Photo by Julia. Pancakes and tomatoes in the center.
I find 3 regular sized zucchini make enough for 6 as a side. I like them both hot and cold so they make for easy leftovers.

Coarsely grate 3 zucchini (skins on) and half an onion. By the fistful squeeze as much water out as you can. It's important to get as much liquid out as possible otherwise the pancakes won't stay together (and you'll need to add more egg and flour to compensate).

Mix zucchini, onion, 3 eggs (or whites), and 1/4 cup flour in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. I sometimes add basil or mustard depending on my mood.

Oil the pan (I like to use a non-stick so I only add oil once. I find the pancakes have a better color when the oil is low.) Add one heaping tablespoon of zucchini mixture to the pan per pancake. Treat them like regular pancakes and flip when done. Repeat etc. As you go through the batches be sure to keep stirring the mixture or all the egg will end up in one pancake.

That's it! 

I am gross and like everything with ketchup but if I'm feeling fancy I dice tomatoes and basil and serve on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment